Wednesday, 13 February 2019, Kuching: With the Pan Borneo Highway Sarawak project now mid-way into its construction activities, the good news is that it has achieved a total of 9,119,742 safe man-hours as of the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2018 with a cumulative man-hour of 38,144,514 hours.
The total man hours achieved last year alone was 23,551,658 hours.
Compared with the quarter before it, the Q4 result shows an astronomical jump in safe man hours achieved - by as much as 6,225,289 hours – due to no accidents occurred for the three months from October to December last year.
“When there is no accident, then it is normal for us to reach an average of 2mil safe man hours a month. And we are thankful that from October to December last year, there was no accident recorded and thus, we were able to achieve a jump of about 6mil safe man-hours for the period.
“The reason being that we, together with all the main contractors, have been emphasising on safety and health as the hallmark of this project. Our CEO said it correctly - no job is worth a single life”, said LBU Health and Safety Manager Abdul Rahman Kadir.
“If not for the four fatal accidents last year, of which three were due to third party negligence, we could have achieved a much higher number of safe man-hours by now”, added Abdul Rahman.
To recap, following the first fatal accident on March 26 last year at Works Package 06, it prompted the top management of LBU, the Project Delivery Partner of the Pan Borneo Highway Sarawak, to reset the overall cumulative safe man-hours to zero each time a fatal accident occurred. This drastic action demonstrated LBU’s commitment to ensure strictest compliance of health, safety, environment and traffic (HSET) on the project.
Although not incumbent upon the PDP to reset the safe man-hours count to nil each time there is a fatal accident due to third party negligence, LBU decided otherwise as it is committed to ensuring that nothing is compromised when it comes to HSET.
The project now goes into full swing with site clearance in all works packages completed. Construction works have now moved on to earthworks, drainage works, bridgeworks, geotechnical works and pavement works.
“As the works are in full swing now, one thing that we would not compromise is the safety of the workers as well as that of the road users who have to commute along the construction stretch.
“On our part as PDP, we will continue to embark on safety and health programmes to create greater awareness as well as to serve as deterrence for any eventualities.
“The week-long Quality Health, Safety, Environment and Traffic (QHSET) programme we organised last year is testimony of our total commitment,” said Rahman.