KUALA LUMPUR: The Government has yet to make a decision on whether to review the Pan Borneo Highway, said newly-minted Works Minister Baru Bian (pic).
"We will look at the cost, feasibility and the implementation of the project," he said at his first press conference as minister on Tuesday (July 3).
Asked about the progress of the construction of the Pan Borneo Highway, Works Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Zohari Akob said 36% of Phase 1 of the project has been completed.
Phase 1 of the highway links Telok Melano in southern Sarawak to Miri in the north, and is slated for completion in 2021.
Phase 2, which covers 77km to link up Sarawak to Sabah, is in the planning stage.
It was previously reported that the mega project will continue amid the change in Federal Government, but an audit will be carried out on the contractors involved.
Meanwhile, Baru said the Ministry will focus on five states, namely Sabah, Sarawak, Perlis, Kelantan and Terengganu, which were lagging behind and in serious need of improved public infrastructure.
"We will look at all states, but we will focus on these five states, mainly on infrastructure like federal roads, highways, airports," he said.